So about six months ago, we stopped drinking protein shakes as part of a Whole30 that we were doing. Instead, we focused on having a real meal as soon as got home, usually within 20-30 minutes after our workout. I've really been trying to find something that is easy to make and comes out to equal parts of protein, fat, and carbs for a post-workout refuel. I found a recipe for tuna-stuffed potatoes on pinterest that was really good, but it was really fat heavy and hardly any protein and that's not what you want right after your workout. So I modified it, and almost tripled the protein and halved the fat to try and equal the proportions out. The result was really tasty and we've been loving eating it after our workouts! I've been making a batch every weekend and eating it after workouts for about a month now, and I am definitely performing better each day!
Try it out and let me know what you think. This happens to be Paleo-Zone, for the most part, but more than that it is a good amount of protein and carbs right after your workout, with minimal fats. Everyone can benefit from a good post-workout meal, not just those who are doing Zone or Paleo-Zone.
1) 8 potatoes of your choice (similar sized -- 2.5 pounds total) -- about 22 blocks carbohydrates
2) 2 eggs -- 2 blocks protein
3) 1 cup of chopped pickles -- about 2 blocks carbohydrates
4) 28 ounces of tuna, drained (this was 4 cans of Costco tuna) -- about 22 blocks protein
5) 1/2 cup ghee or olive oil -- 24 blocks fat
Salt & Pepper
[Equals about 24 blocks carbs, fats, and protein. Makes 8 halves of a potato, approximately 3 blocks per potato half. Perfect post workout meal!]
1) Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2) Add a drop or two of your oil to the potato skin and rub it in. Then sprinkle with salt. This really makes the skin delicious so don't skimp!
4) Remove the potatoes from the oven, and using your cooking mitt, cut the potatoes in half to help them cool down.
Post a Comment