Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Preserve your herbs!

Do you buy herbs a lot? I definitely do not, because I also end up using a small portion and the rest goes bad because I'm not making another recipe that needs it. I bought three different herbs at the store for a marinade I was doing, and I had so much left over. I knew I didn't want to let it go bad, so I thought I would try to preserve it and freeze it. I have seen some ideas for doing it with olive oil, but we cook with ghee more than anything, so I decided to use that. Chopped up some herbs, topped with ghee, put it in a silicon muffin cup, and popped in the freezer. Once frozen, I popped it right out and then put in a plastic bag. Now whenever I want to use one of those spices, I can grab one of the frozen ones and add ghee and spices to my dish. Win!

Ingredients
1) Chopped, fresh herbs (whichever you have that might not get used--I had basil, mint and cilantro)
2) Ghee, melted
--You will need silicone cupcake liners for the easiest results

Instructions
1) Roughly chop up your herbs. Place 1 tablespoon in each silicone cup. Make sure you know which ones are which if you are doing multiple spices! I used different color liners to distinguish different herbs.
2) Place 2 tablespoons of melted ghee into each silicone cup that has herbs in it. Press down the herbs to ensure they are covered.
3) Place all the cups on a baking sheet or in a baking dish, something where they can stay flat.
4) Place the sheet into the freezer for 2-4 hours, until completely frozen.
5) Once frozen, simply pop out the frozen ghee and herbs. Place in ziplock bag labeled with the herb used. When you want to use it, you can melt in the microwave or pop in the skillet with your recipe and you'll get delicious ghee plus your herb. How awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment