Friday, October 4, 2013

Apple Pie Bars (Sugar-free, No added honey/maple syrup)

I like desserts.

That pretty much could sum up this blog post.

I have a previous dessert recipe for apples with coconut cream, which is delicious and always a favorite here for dessert. This treat here uses that as a filling, but then adds a date/nut/coconut base to make them into what I like to call Apple Pie bars. This batch literally lasted 12 hours in my house---don't say I didn't warn you!

Coconut cream concentrate is also called coconut cream, coconut butter, or coconut manna. I bought mine from Tropical Traditions, but there are plenty of other brands out there as well. Or you can throw unsweetened shredded coconut in the food processor and blend it for like 3-5 minutes like you would a nut butter, and you can get a similar product. It's just coconut, anyway!

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Ingredients
1) 1/2 cup of pitted dates
2) 1/2 cup of nuts (I used almonds, but next time I'm going to try a cashew/almond mixture, or even macadamia nuts if you want!)
3) 1/4 cup + 1/4-1/2 cup of Coconut Cream
4) 3 medium-sized apples
5) 1-2 Tablespoons of cinammon (or apple pie spice, or pumpkin pie spice)

Instructions
1) Place your dates and nuts in a food processor and blend for at least 2 minutes until the nuts really break down.
2) Add in 1/4 cup of your coconut cream, and blend again. Your mixture will look grainy like sand.
3) In an 8x8 baking pan, add your food processor mixture. Press down to form an even layer at the bottom of your pan. Don't worry, once this hardens in the fridge for a few hours it'll solidify together.
4) Dice up your apples. I cut them into thin slices, which seem to work best.
5) Heat up a large skillet over medium heat, and add your apples. Cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apples are super soft and cooked.
6) Add in your cinammon/spices and stir. Then add in 1/4 cup of coconut cream and mix. At this point you can add in an additional 1/4 cup of coconut cream to make it extra thick (I did), but if it looks good to you, stick with less. It's personal preference!
7) Pour the apples on top of the crust and press down to form an even layer.
8) Place in the fridge for at least 3 hours to allow the crust to harden so you can cut it. Trust me, if you try to eat it 1 hour later (like I did), then your crust will fall apart. Give it time!










3 comments:

  1. I had to use pecans cause that was all I had in the house and my food processor mixture came out more like a paste than sandy... Think that matters? Still tastes DELICIOUS, I'm just wondering if it will have a negative affect on the consistency or the hardening.

    Love your recipes btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did it work out, Alina? I am sure once it hardened up in the fridge it would work just fine and probably had a very nice base.

    Glad you like the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 Researches REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by eating coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from large medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete