I am loving trying new things with the large purchase of stew meat that we got from US Wellness Meats! I just bought some fish sauce for the first time (Red Boat is the brand without any extra sugar), and wanted to try it out with this dish. I think it is a very important ingredient, so if you can use it, you should!
There's something so awesome about coming home to an already cooked meal in your crockpot. It is seriously a life saver, especially in the paleo world!
1) 2 pounds of stew meat (or a 2 pound beef roast, cut into cubes)
2) 1-2 onions, diced
3) 2 pounds of a root vegetable, chopped (rutabaga, turnip, sweet potato) - I used rutabaga
4) 1 medium-sized head of cabbage
5) 2 tablespoons of fish sauce (recommend Red Boat)
1) Chop up your onions and root vegetable and add it to the crockpot.
2) Add in your fish sauce and stew meat.
3) Cut your cabbage into quarters and remove the core. Then place the quarters on top of the other ingredients already in the slow cooker. Push them down to make room.
4) Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
5) Once cooked, stir your mixture and shred the cabbage into the stew. Taste and see if you need any more fish sauce or salt/pepper if you'd like.
6) Eat up!