I've been spending some time on Pinterest lately, trying to find some new recipes to cook up while I have a little free time. I know that I have food allergies to all things containing gluten and to dairy, but I am usually a little too liberal with allowing some dairy back into my diet now and again. I just got back from Paleo F(x) and decided I needed to cut dairy out completely for at least 60 days and see how I feel. But it is very difficult to find a good casserole recipe without any cheese in it!
I saw somewhere about using pureed squash to try and mimic cheese in a dish, so I decided to give it an experiment. I used a whole can of coconut milk and a bunch of roasted butternut squash and it turned out awesome! Definitely gives a creamy, cheesy feel without the dairy. Hope you enjoy as much as we did!
1) 1.5 pounds of cooked chicken, shredded (this was 2 pounds raw weight)
2) 2 pounds of cubed butternut squash
3) 2 onions, diced
4) 1 pound of broccoli (about 3 cups), fresh or thawed
5) 1 can (15oz) of coconut milk
1) Gather your ingredients.
5) While the onions are cooking, chop up your broccoli florets into bite-sized pieces.
8) Once the squash has roasted for 30 minutes, take it out of the oven.