Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pureed Butternut Squash Soup

Winter is in full effect, which means that winter squash are still plentiful and inexpensive at the grocery store. I sure do love butternut squash, and ever since I found the packages of pre-cut squash at the store, I've been buying it every time I go and making use of it. Instead of making a stew this time though, I wanted to make a soup. Nothing tastes better on a cold night than some warm soup in your belly, in my opinion.

This dish was pretty easy to make, and came out nice and hearty. I added a few ounces of shredded pork on my soup when I ate it, to round the meal out.

Ingredients
1) 2 pounds of diced butternut squash (use the pre-packaged if you can find it, or peel and dice your own)
2) 3-4 large carrots, roughly chopped
3) 1 onion, roughly chopped
4) 2 cups of chicken/beef stock or water
5) 1/2 tablespoon each of: cinnamon and ginger
Optional: 2 tablespoons of ghee, coconut oil, or olive oil to add some fat to the soup and help keep you fuller, longer (also makes it more Zone-friendly)

Instructions
1) Add all ingredients to your slow cooker.
2) Mix together, and cook on low for 8-10 hours, until everything is very tender.
3) Using a blender or an immersion blender, puree your cooked mixture until everything is smooth.
4) Put it in a bowl, top with some cooked meat if you'd like, and warm yourself up!

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you actually kill fat by consuming coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete