Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Sauteed Beef & Cabbage

I swear that my Polish boyfriend has extra strong smell associated with anything that has cabbage in it. I made this dish last night and when he come home from work he said "smells like cabbage in here", without me even telling him what I cooked! Cabbage is delicious, for sure, and such an inexpensive vegetable!

We are moving in a month to a new apartment, closer to my campus, and so I am trying to use up a lot of the freezer and pantry food that we have, so we have to move less. Then I can reorder once we are moved, instead of having to haul it all with us. I didn't realize that I had been using more pork than beef lately, so I wanted to cook something beefy up. I think I had tried something similar to this months ago for dinner one night, but with pork.

Normally whenever I use cabbage, I just buy a head of it and then chop it up. But just like cauliflower, it makes a big mess in my kitchen. I had found some prepacked coleslaw packs (minus the dressing), that were cheap and included the cabbage and some carrots. Win for us! Not only am I starting another batch of homemade sauerkraut using them (recipe to come soon), but I also snagged two extra packs to make this tasty meal. I also added in a pack of broccoli slaw, which I had never used before. So this recipe was no mess, and super easy! Don't want to buy the packs of pre-shredded cabbage? Chop up your own!

Ingredients
1) 2 pounds of ground beef (or ground pork/chicken/turkey)
2) 2 onions, diced
3) 2 packages of shredded cabbage (coleslaw mix), or about 1 head of cabbage shredded
4) Optional: 1 package of broccoli slaw
+ Salt/Pepper to taste

Instructions
1) Heat up the largest pan you have over medium-high heat, and add in your ground beef.
                                                    
2) While the beef is cooking, chop up your onions.

3) Add the onions to the beef once it has cooked about half way and has released some grease into the pan.
4) Saute up the beef and onions for about 5 minutes until the onions are tender and the beef is all the way cooked.
5) Add in your cabbage and/or broccoli and mix to incorporate. You're using the grease from your already cooked ground beef to assist the cooking. If your beef gave off too much for your liking, you can drain some, but still leave some in the pan to help cook the veggies. If you used turkey or chicken, add in 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil or cooking oil of your choice.
6) Put a lid on the pot and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring about every 5 minutes. Once the cabbage is thoroughly cooked and wilted, you're done! Season with salt and pepper if desired (I did!).

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by consuming Coconut Fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete