Monday, March 10, 2014

Crockpot Sausage, Peppers and Onions

I love the tastes of sausage and peppers, and I have a nice recipe for an oven version here. But I have a lot more ground sausage in my freezer than links, and I also wanted to try and make a slow cooked version that would be easier to throw together. And here you go...100% cooked in the crockpot, and still insanely delicious!

This filled my crockpot up to the very top, but it cooks down a bit and then leaves you with a nice soup-like broth for your meal. I'd never really used raw ground meat in my crockpot before so I wasn't exactly sure how it would work out, but it cooked right up and was so much easier than pre-cooking it!

Ingredients
1) 2 pounds of ground sausage (or 1 pound sausage and 1 pound ground pork)
2) 6-8 green peppers (or any color), chopped into bite-sized pieces
3) 2 onions, diced
4) 2-3 apples, diced
5) 2 Tablespoons lemon juice

**Makes 6-8 servings

Instructions
1) Add your ground meat to the bottom of your crockpot.
2) Add your chopped peppers, onions and apples to the crockpot as well.
3) Cook on low for 8-10 hours, and then stir very well to break up the sausage into smaller pieces.
4) Add in your lemon juice. You can add more juice as needed and/or salt and pepper to your liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment