Believe it or not, my Polish boyfriend had never had sausage and peppers before. Sure, he's eaten a lot of sausage in his day, but never in this awesomely easy dish.
I've made a similar dish like this before on the stove, and it takes a lot of stirring and maintenance. This recipe was so much easier! Just pop in in the oven and it really requires minimal work.
I read about someone adding an apple to their dish, and I just HAD to try it out. It was very tasty, so we added one in here for good luck too!
1) 2-3 pounds of sausage links (our package we bought had 10 links in it)
2) 1-2 onions
3) 4 green peppers
4) 1 apple
5) 1/4 cup of fat of your choice (whatever you use is going to flavor your meal. Duck fat was amazing in this, but coconut or olive oil would also work without quite as much flavor. Up to you---whatever you have on hand!)
Extra) Salt, Pepper, and a splash of lemon juice
|All the chopped veggies and the apple, ready for mixing!|
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1) Chop up your onions, green peppers and apple into strips.
2) Toss your veggies with your 1/4 cup of oil and some lemon juice and even distribute into a 13x9 baking dish, or two 9x9 pans.
3) Season with salt and pepper, and/or anything else you want. We kept it simple.
4) Wrap the dish in tin foil, and let it cook for 30 minutes.
5) After the 30 minutes are done, remove the foil so you can brown your sausage. We had to cook another 10 minutes on this side to brown the sausages, then flipped the sausages over and cooked another 10 minutes until both sides were crispy brown.
6) At this point you can stop, or you can take the sausage out and cook the veggies longer if they're not tender enough for you. I didn't, but you certainly could.
7) Remove from oven, and serve! This makes 4-5 servings, depending on how big you make them.
|Ready for the oven|
|Cut up the leftovers, put in some tupperware, and WOW your coworkers with how amazing your lunch smells!|