It kind of looks like soup. We just call it "Beef & Onions" around here, but I figured my super exciting title up there might attract a few more lookers with a more descriptive title. Was I right?!
1) 2 pounds of ground meat (I used beef, but anything could work)
2) 4 large onions
3) 1-2 cans (12oz) of tomato sauce
1) First, get your ground beef started browning on medium heat in a large pan. Don't drain it, or at least don't drain it all the way if you can't stand to use all the fat in the recipe. You need the fat to help cook the onions.
2) Now you need to cut up your onions. I make these into noodle shapes to make this more Hamburger Helper like. I used the slicing attachment on the food processor to make it A LOT easier, but have chopped it by hand before too. It filled up my entire food processor, so yes it's a lot of onions! But they cook WAY down.
3) Add the onions to the ground beef once it's released off some fat. Stir, and cover the pan, cooking for 20-30 minutes. Stir the pan every 5 minutes and check on your onions. Once they are to your desired likeness, then you're ready for the next step.
4) Once your dish is done cooking, add one can of tomato sauce. If it doesn't look saucy enough, add another half can or an entire can. I ended up using 1 1/2 cans for this batch. It should be well covered but not drowning.
5) Put this deliciously strange dish in your mouth and enjoy! Or pack it up into 6 tupperware containers and fill up your fridge and freezer for the week, like we did.
Post a Comment