My boyfriend refused to call this ice cream, but that's essentially what it is. He said it's a "frozen dessert", so I have named it as such! We've been doing a much stricter Paleo the past month, which means no ice cream for either of us. He's been wanting some lately, and so I was trying to figure out a way to make a version he would like. I've made a few before using our ice cream maker, and I thought they were really good! But my boyfriend said they just weren't the same as his beloved Blue Bell.
So instead of using a bunch of coconut milk and then using the ice cream maker to solidify it, I had seen some recipes just using frozen bananas as the base. My boyfriend's new favorite ice cream is a combination of vanilla, strawberry and blueberry ice cream. We just got a bunch of blueberries from his family and so I thought I'd try to at least recreate the blueberry part of the ice cream he loves so much.
.....and success! He loved it! Plus it's no sugar added, which is awesome. But if you like yours sweeter, you could add some honey to it as well. You could also add in some nuts or coconut flakes or whatever else you like!
1) 3 frozen bananas (best to peel them and chop them up, then throw them in a ziplock bag and freeze them. I bought a bunch of extra bananas at Costco and so now we have tons in the freezer)
2) 1 cup of frozen blueberries + 1/3 cup for topping
3) 1/2 cup of thick coconut milk (make your own or skim the top of a can of coconut milk)
Optional: 1T honey, coconut flakes, crushed nuts, other fruit...
1) Throw the bananas, frozen blueberries and coconut milk into a food processor.
2) Blend for 2-3 minutes, until everything is smooth and combined. It should be thick!
3) Top with remaining blueberries (and/or other toppings too!) and stir in to incorporate.