When I visited Germany a few years ago, before I knew I was allergic to gluten and wasn't quite paleo yet, I enjoyed a lot of delicious schnitzel from local places. All I knew was that it was some sort of breaded and fried meat, and that it was super tasty. I tried to recreate it at home a few times once I went paleo, using chicken breast and almond flour, but it just wasn't exactly right. It was still delicious, but I wasn't fully satisfied that I had recreated it.
When we went to visit my boyfriend's parents a few months ago, they made us a similar dish to schnitzel and used a pork cutlet as the protein. They also used some corn starch and Parmesan cheese for the breading so I could still eat it. It was awesome! I knew then that I could totally recreate it using pork and some paleo-approved breading options. So I whipped this dish up after CrossFit a few nights ago, and we gobbled it down. HOLY CRAP, it is delicious! I am definitely headed to the store now to buy more pork chops so I can whip this up on the regular. Paleo win!
1) 4-6 pork chops, boneless
2) 1/2 cup of almond flour - I used Honeyville
3) 1/4 cup of arrowroot powder or tapioca flour
4) 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil or ghee
5) 1 egg
**Makes 4-6 servings
1) Lay out a piece of saran wrap the size of your cutting board. Add one pork chop to the center and fold the saran wrap over the top. Using a meat tenderizer, mallet, hammer, or rolling pin, smash out your pork chop until it is about 1/4 inch thin. Cut off the fatty parts at this time, if you'd like.
3) Prepare your breading mixtures. In one dish add your egg, in a second dish add your almond flour and arrowroot/tapioca flour. Stir to mix up both mixtures.
4) Using your flattened pork chops, dip one into the egg mixture and then straight into the flour mixture. Make sure you evenly coat both sides of the chop. Do this for all of your pork chops.
5) Add the chops to your frying pan that already has the hot oil inside. Cook 5 minutes on one side and then flip over. Cook another 4-5 minutes until both sides are nice and golden brown.